Proudly serving the Cartersville, Georgia community, our Methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
What is the Purpose of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse?
Treating the complexities of addiction extend beyond a simplistic solution.
Those who are battling an addiction to opioids must address both the physical and psychological components of addiction in order for treatment to truly be long-lasting and effective. By understanding the root causes of their addictions, patients are able to obtain the appropriate support in order to progress in their treatment. Group therapy provides patients with a safe and highly effective environment in which to receive the guidance and support necessary to move forward in their recovery.
Group therapy is a therapeutic tool that utilizes a highly qualified counselor who leads a group of patients as they work together to overcome their addictions. Typically, one therapist will work in a small group of participants, although the use of multiple professionals can be utilized should the need arise.
As is true with individual therapy, the goal of group therapy is to address and treat the underlying emotional and behavioral influences that may have aided in an individual’s substance abuse issues in the first place. Since there are typically external factors that have played a role in the development of an addiction, it is important to understand what stress, trauma, abuse, or mood disorders may have contributed to an individual’s having turned to substances in the first place. Group therapy provides patients with the opportunity to address and discuss their individual issues amongst other patients who truly understand the struggles associated with addiction and the process of recovery.
Group therapy is only as effective as the counselor who is leading the session, as well as the patients who are participating in the session. Because of this, Cartersville Comprehensive Treatment Center’s team of highly qualified counselors encourages patients to take an active role in group sessions in order to aid in the progression of treatment. The following are the goals and principles associated with group therapy sessions:
- Universality– Aiding in reducing any feelings of segregation by highlighting the commonality of emotions and experiences amongst other members of the group
- Self-understanding– Obtaining insight into one’s own problems by listening to other group members share their treatment progression, as well as any setbacks that may have occurred
- Interpersonal learning– Learning from the insights and experiences of others while being able to openly communicate one’s own experiences and feelings
- Altruism– Feeling the value of aiding in the advancement of the lives of others
- Hope– Realizing that other group members may have overcome issues that one may currently be experiencing
- Information– Gaining more information about the disease of addiction, as well as the recovery process
- Imitative behavior– Creating new insight by observing the positive behaviors of both the counselor and other members of the group
- Cohesiveness– Feeling a sense of purpose and support by sharing the process of therapy with others
- Catharsis– Experiencing a sense of freedom from emotional pain by openly sharing one’s struggles and setbacks
Objectives of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Cartersville Comprehensive Treatment Center truly values the importance of incorporating group therapy into our comprehensive medication assisted treatment program. By providing patients with a safe and structured environment in which to openly discuss their progression, struggles, and setbacks, our highly qualified counseling team can provide patients with the support and treatment necessary in order to progress in treatment.
While there is no singular cure for addiction, by combining therapeutic interventions into a medication assisted treatment program, patients are able to obtain the support necessary for both the emotional and physical components of addiction. Group therapy provides a critical role in the therapeutic process as a whole.
If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction to opioids and would benefit from group therapy, as well as the other treatment options available through Cartersville Comprehensive Treatment Center, please contact our intake team today.